Mission and history
Having started its operations in the management and exploitation of sanitary landfills of municipalities associations, namely the collection and treatment of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW), BioSmart has been diversifying its activity areas, responding to the needs and expectations of customers regarding environmental protection and public health.
Thus, these companies´ activity holds a complementary nature since, together, they aim to return nature to its original purity, combining the preservation of natural resources with technology in a perfect alliance between sustainable growth and development.
Today, BIOSMART keeps on growing, namely due to its internationalization strategy in Angola and Brazil. In order to ensure this sustained growth, BIOSMART relies on the following values:
- Rigour in the provided services and products;
- Companies´ and partnerships´ stability;
- Projects´ innovation;
- Teams´ know-how;
- Closeness to the internal and external customer;
- Immediate response;
- Environmental sustainability;
- Social responsibility.
RETURN NATURE TO ITS ORIGINAL PURITY, COMBINING THE PRESERVATION OF OUR NATURAL RESOURCES WITH TECHNOLOGY IN A PERFECT ALLIANCE BETWEEN SUSTAINABLE GROWTH AND LONG-TERM DEVELOPMENT.
In order to bring BIOSMART project to its present stage, much ground has been covered and the present business model has been updated in terms of permanent improvement. In this context, the following is a close picture of the path travelled for more than a decade.
In June 1998, along with the launching of the landfill of Abrantes, Solurbe - Tratamento de Resíduos Sólidos is established - and, in 2004, was renamed Lena Ambiente, S.A. In 2019, this one was renamed and gave origin to BIOSMART.
Following the first experience with the landfill of Abrantes, sold in 2006, it is exactly in the waste management that BIOSMART firstly proceeds operating, namely with the following infrastructures:
- From May 2000 to July 2001: Landfill of Abrantes and respective transfer station at Ponte de Sôr, covering five municipalities (Avis, Alter do Chão, Ponte de Sôr, Fronteira and Sousel);
- From June 2000 until today: Landfill of Almeirim which includes two other transfer stations and three eco-centres;
- From October 2002 until today: Ordinary Industrial Waste (OIW) Landfill of Leiria which, at the time, was the second facility of this kind to operate in the country. This infrastructure is part of Lena Ambiente, through Lena Ambiente´s share in Resilei, S.A.;
- From April 2003 until today: OIW Landfill of Castelo Branco, the third of its class on the national level, for which operation and management BIOSMART is responsible;
- From January 2004 until today: Landfill of Évora and respective sorting plants, as well as four other sorting facilities, four transfer stations, thirteen eco-centres and the concession of selective collection of waste.
BIOSMART´s involvement in these infrastructures comes in the wake of an invitation by AMDE (Associação de Municípios do Distrito de Évora - Association of Municipalities of Évora´s District) which enabled the establishment of GESAMB, EIM (inter-municipal company);
- From January 2005 until today: Non-hazardous waste landfill of Beja, which goal is to meet the needs (by Alentejo´s and Algarve´s producers) regarding this type of waste.
Also in 2005, the waste management infrastructure in Almeirim are now run by Ecolezíria - a inter-municipal company included in the RESIURB system since 2000 and strengthened in 2005 following the arising of BIOSMART and another private partner.
Waste management is one of the main priorities for BIOSMART, in which it is present with several companies:
- Ecolezíria, EIM: inter-municipal company included in the RESIURB system. It is responsible for the landfill of Almeirim, two transfer stations, three eco-centres, one composting and RDF production plant and one biogas recovery plant.
- Gesamb, EIM: inter-municipal company responsible for the operation of the inter-municipal landfill of Évora´s district, as well as of seven other eco-centres, four transfer stations, one sorting plant and one composting and RDF production plant.
- SS Bioenergias, Lda.: its main activity is the waste valorisation, namely those resulting from livestock, farming and industry, using them to produce agricultural fertilizers. It also runs a temporary storage and composting plant in Figueira da Foz, holding investments regarding the use of sludge in farm soil in Alentejo.
BIOSMART also holds a significant stake in NOUVELLE ENVIRONMENTS, S.A.: a strategic partnership that enables widening the range of activities
with such services as urban cleaning and waste collection and transportation. NOUVELLE ENVIRONMENTS holds a stake in:
- Lena Ambiente II Gestão de Resíduos, SA: responsible for non-hazardous industrial waste landfills in Castelo Branco and Beja.
- Resilei, SA: invested by Lena Ambiente II and SUMA, Resilei is responsible for an industrial waste landfill in Leiria.
- Treciver, SA: responsible for the transportation, packaging and disposal of waste, mainly industrial waste, as well as municipal waste and sludge.
- Ribtejo, SA: responsible for an industrial waste landfill in Chamusca.
- ECOambiente, SA: provides services of waste collection, urban cleaning, beach cleaning, containers washing and operational lease of services, also providing support in terms of human resources and equipment.
BIOSMART is also committed to the water and sanitation domains. BIOSMART currently works in this sector by means of the following companies:
- Abrantaqua, SA: concessionaire of wastewater and rainwater services in the municipality of Abrantes, since 2008. It is responsible for ensuring the operation, maintenance and valorisation of nearly 260 km of collection networks, 40 lift stations and 27 WWTP´s, as well as the management of the sludge co-digestion system at the WWTP of Abrantes, including the valorisation of the resulting biogas.
- Cartágua, SA: concessionaire of water service in the municipality of Cartaxo, since 2010. The main infrastructures of the supply system are 5 water boreholes, 5 raised reservoirs, 10 supported reservoirs, 3 lift stations and 200 km of pipelines. The sanitation system includes more than 150 km of collection units, 15 pumping stations and 8 WWTP´s.
BIOSMART also provides services in this domain.
Taking advantage of its technical staff with a wide background in the environmental sector, BIOSMART also provides services regarding consulting and the development of projects in several areas.
By means of its Electromechanical Services area, BioSmart - Soluções Ambientais, S.A. provides the following services:
- Repair and maintenance services (mechanical locksmith);
- Design, manufacturing and installation of gantry cranes and other load-lifting equipment;
- Certification and legal conformity of load-lifting systems;
- Design, manufacturing and installation of tunnels for washing and cleaning packages;
- Design and manufacturing mobile units for sludge dewatering;
- Design, manufacturing and installation of wastewater treatment plants (WWTP's);
- Industrial maintenance and repair services.